Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Long Road to Whistler

The Insulating Glass Manufacturers Alliance (IGMA) summer meeting started on Monday in Whistler, B.C. I feel that I should mention here that the fantastic people at IGMA really know how to pick a meeting location.

When my travels started on Saturday I couldn’t help but feel like someone at Travelocity needed a map as they had booked my flight from D.C. to Canada via Houston, but I didn’t mind the layover too much when it gave me a chance to stretch my legs … and admire the glazing in the E terminal. I felt a bit silly for being so excited to remember that when I profiled BHN Corp. in Memphis, Tenn., several years ago, they had just begun installing the glass in this wing. I particularly liked the clerestory effect of the curved windows three stories up, the natural light pouring in from all angles upon the travelers waiting below (see photo at left).

From Houston I finally made it to Vancouver—a few days early for the meeting as I had never previously had a chance to visit this amazing city. My first impression is that where in most big cities downtown is the place to be, the cityscape here just seemed in the way of the natural beauty of the mountains and rivers. Still, when traveling to an IGMA meeting, one couldn’t help but notice and appreciate the prevalent use of glass throughout the city (see photo).

The meetings kicked off on Monday and from the beginning it’s been evident that this group is here that despite the fantastic venue, the group is here to work. This isn’t one of those meetings where topics are talked about in circles. It’s been a productive and interesting meeting, with action taken in the gas permeability working group to further its test protocol for argon permeability through IGUs, there were some in-depth discussions on capillary tubes to further work in that task group and some progress made on a new educational seminar on IG manufacturing quality control. Not to mention that Tuesday’s lunch featured a timely session on building information modeling and specifically how it relates to manufacturers.

The group also discussed some exciting ideas for being more productive going forward, making this a great time for IG manufacturers to step up and get involved in the direction of this association.

No comments: